About the role
Are you curious? Are you a polymath who contemplates our place in the Universe? Do your questions lead to a soul-searching journey of sorts? If you answered yes, to any and all of these queries, then we need you. We’re looking for a Showrunner for Aperture. Adventurous thinkers who live and breathe the motto: “Bringing the Universe down to Earth”.
You are a great communicator, motivator and are confident in decision making, and are always ready to face new challenges. You will liaise with our internal departments to help bring ideas to life through multi-channel initiatives. While executing your own projects, you are capable of overseeing and mentoring a team of dedicated video editors, researchers, scriptwriters, and a story developer.
You’re a leader. Not only in the sense of responsible and respectable team management, but in the development and growth of your own expertise. You are considered a subject matter expert in content as you strive to stay on top of trends and content best practices. Your team relies on you to educate them on the ever changing landscape of video production.
Overall, you are self-motivated with an entrepreneurial spirit to grow your channel, and team.
Check out the amazing content being created for Aperture – click here
Duties and responsibilities
- Take direction, and implement content strategies from members of the Senior Leadership team. You are seen as a Formula 1 driver and management is the pit crew that supports you.
- Lead the editorial process from ideation to publishing, adhering to Underknown’s editorial guidelines, company values and mission.
Collaborate with your team and various departments within Underknown to support you on the delivery of your targeted videos to be produced per month (minimum of 8 videos per month*).
- You stay on top of industry news and are constantly looking for ways to turn trending topics into episodes for your channel. You will be a subject matter expert as it relates to how to tailor content for your channel to various social media platforms (FB, YT, Snapchat, and Tiktok).
- Collaborate and meet regularly with the social media and data teams to determine possible best ways to produce stories that resonate with our audience. Use data to continually revise and innovate your show in order to attract bigger audiences and longer watchtimes.
- You know the do’s and don’ts of each platform, ie – what can demonetize your content or what could be a threat to the health of your channel on each platform, and you relay this information to your team.
- You are the innovator on the series. Bringing fresh ideas and ways of capturing audiences to life.
- Review scripts and videos to ensure they’re up to our standards of quality, and that they are in the best position to attract viewers and drive engagement.
- You ensure accurate data reporting is captured in Monday.com.
- Execute productions from pitch to delivery using your leadership, communication and time management skills.
- Take initiative in highlighting potential risks or malfunctions and act proactively to resolve issues. Don’t be afraid to ask for help, you have a team here to support you.
- Remain focused on results despite changing conditions, remaining goal oriented, and yet motivate, train, and engage others in an enthusiastic way.
- Mentor and manage a team of dedicated video editors, researchers, scriptwriters, and a story developer.
- Proactively keep a schedule of deliverables and understand what your team’s capacity is to meet video metrics set by the business.
- Support resourcing by forecasting resource requirements to support short and long term goals of your channel. Collaborate with the team on recruitment efforts; you are a wizard at picking the right people for your team, based on their culture fit and skill set.
- Use your experience to manage your team, leveling up your leadership and management skills via team meetings, providing channel progress report reviews, and supporting them throughout their own projects, helping them improve their skills as well as provide guidance in their professional development.
- Other tasks as required by the Senior Leadership team.
Qualifications you bring
- 2-5 years experience working in Media Production/Content Creation.
- A fantastic communicator with a deep passion for finding creative ways to tell timely stories in an engaging manner to new and existing audiences.
- Resilient, you can work under pressure and extremely tight deadlines while maintaining a good sense of humour, tact, and professionalism.
- You live and breathe storytelling. You can anticipate production hurdles in advance and can come up with solutions to lead your team through the challenges.
- You are someone who is interested in the sci-fi / philosophy / psychology / futurism side of things.
- You believe that inclusion and diversity are fundamental to your work.
- Have grit and a positive attitude. Hungry to learn more.
- Have the ability to work on tight deadlines and prioritize.
- Exceptional Writing, Communication And Interpersonal Skills Are Essential.
- Someone who will take the initiative and show independent judgment.
Underknown is a data-driven digital-first media company that specializes in creating short-form web series for social video platforms. Our mission is to create fun factual content that educates the world about science and the humanities. We are ranked among the top 3 factual media properties on social media in the world (according to Tubular).
Why work at Underknown?
- Your work will be seen by millions of people around the world.
- A competitive salary.
- Work from home and from our office in Toronto with an international team of creators and thinkers.
- A manager who deeply cares about your development and makes a personal investment in your career at Underknown.
- A team that trusts and wants to win together and has a work hard but have fun attitude
- Work for a values-driven company; we don’t work with brands and organizations that pollute the planet and exploit people.
Underknown is committed to a workforce that is reflective of the diverse populations that we serve. We are committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We believe in integration and equal opportunity. We have implemented policies with respect to accommodating people with disabilities. If you require accommodation at any time during your application or employment with Underknown, please contact the Human Resources Department.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we sincerely value your time and your interest in Underknown. We’re looking forward to reading your application. We thank all applicants, though only those selected will be contacted.