About the role
We are looking for a Senior Manager, Production whose primary responsibility will be managing the production and technical elements of Underknown’s videos & series. Reporting to the Vice President, Production, the ideal candidate is a self-starter who takes initiative, displays problem solving and decision-making abilities, has excellent organizational skills and can maintain a positive, professional attitude in a fast-paced and changing work environment. You will lead, motivate and develop a team of Showrunners and Video Editors in a high volume, fast-paced environment. This role involves being both assertive and diplomatic in leading a team that is both dynamic and forward-thinking.
Most importantly, you are driven by a passion for supporting the team in creating fun factual content that educates the world about science and the humanities. If you want to be an integral part of a growing in-house Production team and can elevate the quality and creativity of all our video storytelling activities, we encourage you to apply.
Duties and responsibilities
- Collaborate with the team to ensure all our content is on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice, and optimized for the viewer experience across all of our channels and social media platforms.
- Stay up to date on best practices, new formats and be aware of trending content within the industry.
- Measure and explain the performance of your direct reports regarding benchmarks, targets and overall business objectives. Provide feedback and coaching to the team and perform quarterly performance reviews..
- Collaborate with the Vice President, Operations to develop and optimize the workflow and outputs of the show’s production staff to ensure high-quality content is delivered efficiently and effectively across all platforms.
- Lead and develop ideas with your team to increase viewer engagement. You will be passionate about driving engagement and reach. You’ll establish a strong relationship with the Sr Manager Editorial to make this work.
- Ensure those reporting into you are engaged and motivated through coaching and support. Instill Underknown’s values into the team and create a happy, optimistic and growth-orientated working environment.
- Collaborate with the Vice President, Production to define overall production needs.
- Hire, develop and mentor producers, editors, and content creators both in Canada and remotely.
- Enhance the overall quality of post-production offering by sourcing new processes, equipment and platforms.
- Deliver high-quality productions while always searching for new options to maximize efficiency
- Collaborate with the Senior Manager, Editorial to ensure a cohesive workflow as it relates to editorial requirements.
- Contribute to building and maintaining a culture of continuous improvement.
- Meet regularly with our Data Scientist and Senior Leadership team to develop a greater understanding of the performance metrics of our shows (this will require someone who can analyze data and connect it back to the performance of the shows). Adapt the learnings to improve overall performance and coaching opportunities to your team.
Qualifications you bring
- High level of self-management, responsiveness, creative problem-solving and adaptability skills who is able to think outside of the box..
- A collaborative spirit, and the ability to work and lead across departments. You are an advocate for your team.
- A proven aptitude for quick creative thinking with acute attention to detail within demanding deadlines.
- Experience working with video storytelling is essential.
- Experience with Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects is a requirement.
- Well-developed organizational skills with the ability to set and adjust to changing priorities, multi-task and perform under deadline pressures in a fast-paced environment.
- Reliable, responsible individual with a strong work ethic, friendly attitude and willingness to learn.
- Solid knowledge of social media platforms including Snapchat, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Tik Tok etc.
- Excellent written, verbal and communication skills.
- Exceptional computer skills in Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
Underknown is a data-driven digital-first media company that specializes in creating short-form web series for social video platforms. Our mission is to create fun factual content that educates the world about science and the humanities. We are ranked among the top 3 factual media properties on social media in the world (according to Tubular).
Why work at Underknown?
- Your work will be seen by millions of people around the world.
- A competitive salary.
- Work from home and from our office in Toronto with an international team of creators and thinkers.
- A manager who deeply cares about your development and makes a personal investment in your career at Underknown.
- A team that trusts and wants to win together and has a work hard but have fun attitude
- Work for a values-driven company; we don’t work with brands and organizations that pollute the planet and exploit people.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we sincerely value your time and your interest in Underknown. We’re looking forward to reading your application. We thank all applicants, though only those selected will be contacted.
Underknown is committed to a workforce that is reflective of the diverse populations that we serve. We are committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We believe in integration and equal opportunity. We have implemented policies with respect to accommodating people with disabilities. If you require accommodation at any time during your application or employment with Underknown, please contact the Human Resources Department.