About the role
Are you a visual master at your craft, capable of taking a good idea and making it truly exceptional? We are looking for an Art Director who will put the conceptual development and execution of creative deliverables on your shoulders—including creating brands and communicating ideas and concepts, implementing branding strategies, and developing motion design templates with a team of in-house designers and external freelancers. Balancing creative thinking with interpersonal skills, you champion creative concepts that align with our shows.
Reporting into the Chief Creative Officer, you will be a key part to create new publishing brands and help our existing shows get noticed. You bring an extensive creative network that you can tap into and the Chief Creative Officer will help you grow, and you’ll lead our own team of designers, copywriters, content analysts, and production specialists to excellence. Most importantly, you are driven by a passion for design, visual communication and video storytelling. You are an explorer at heart.
If you want to be an integral part of a growing in-house Creative team that will elevate the quality and creativity of all visual communication and video storytelling activities, we encourage you to apply.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop creative concepts in video and communicate ideas.
- Balance strategic development with business objectives.
- Direct and delegate to core creative services disciplines while also keeping a hands-on approach to projects
- Directly contribute to project design and development including creating storyboards and initial graphic concepts, conceive functional design solutions, create prototypes and pilots, and provide QA of all creative deliverables.
- Mentor and coach teams through project development and performance management.
- Lead and partner with showrunners, videographers, writers, on-screen talent, motion designers and data scientists.
- Contribute to the innovative development of the design department, keeping up with the latest trends in digital storytelling.
- Participate in strategic brainstorming, show development, creative brief development, and creative execution.
- You will collaborate with external brands to create brand activations that align Underknown’s brand strategy with the branding of the vendor.
Qualifications you bring
- You bring an extensive creative network that you can tap into to help build out our brands.
- Strong digital design portfolio with a focus on video
- Experience leading a team of designers, production specialists, and writers.
- Experience with strategic brainstorming, campaign development, creative brief development, and creative execution.
- An ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- A proven aptitude for quick creative thinking with acute attention to detail within demanding deadlines.
- Knowledge of the latest versions of Mac OS, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Understanding of the strengths and limitations of After Effects and Premiere Pro.
- Efficient organizational skills and a motivated dedication to the creative team.
- Eagerness to collaborate with other creative people.
- Leadership abilities to foster learning and excellence among team members.
- Illustration skills in both electronic and traditional media.
- A collaborative spirit, and the ability to work and lead across departments.
Underknown is a data-driven digital-first media company that specializes in creating short-form web series for social video platforms. Our mission is to create fun factual content that educates the world about science and the humanities. We are ranked among the top 3 factual media properties on social media in the world (according to Tubular).
Why work at Underknown?
- Your work will be seen by millions of people around the world.
- A competitive salary.
- Work from home and from our office in Toronto with an international team of creators and thinkers.
- A manager who deeply cares about your development and makes a personal investment in your career at Underknown.
- A team that trusts and wants to win together and has a work hard but have fun attitude
- Work for a values-driven company; we don’t work with brands and organizations that pollute the planet and exploit people.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we sincerely value your time and your interest in Underknown. We’re looking forward to reading your application. We thank all applicants, though only those selected will be contacted.
Underknown is committed to a workforce that is reflective of the diverse populations that we serve. We are committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We believe in integration and equal opportunity. We have implemented policies with respect to accommodating people with disabilities. If you require accommodation at any time during your application or employment with Underknown, please contact the Human Resources Department.